1054 Barona Road
Lakeside, CA 92040-1502
Phone: (619) 443-3412
Fax: (619) 443-3018
After moving to the Barona Valley in 1932 the Barona Band of Mission Indians decided that having their own place of worship was one of their first priorities. With the help of architect Irving J. Gill, tribal elders funded and built the church, which was dedicated to the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary on August 15th 1934.
Seventy seven years later Saint Kateri Tekakwitha Parish serves a vital role in the spiritual and social life of the tribe. Under the spiritual guidance of Fr. Herman Manuel, SVD and Edward Nolan, Pastoral Associate, the Barona people continue to enjoy a strong and vibrant journey of faith.
BARONA BAND OF MISSION INDIANS HISTORY
We are honored that you'd like to learn more about the Barona Band of Mission Indians. We would like to tell you about our heritage, our culture and our land.
After thousands of years of peaceful life in San Diego County, the late 1700's began more than 200 years of hardship for Native Americans, that is when the Spanish soldiers and missionaries arrived and the Spanish Era began in 1769.
In 1875, the federal government established the Capitan Grande Reservation for the native people living in that area at that time. About 40 years later in 1932, the city literally bought the Capitan Grande Reservation to build a reservoir.
In 1932, without a homeland but with money in their pockets, members of that tribe bought the Barona Ranch which today is the Barona Indian Reservation near Lakeside, about 30 miles northeast of San Diego.
Until the early 1990s, the Barona Tribe lived on their own land but were still struggling economically in the backwoods of San Diego County. In 1994, the tribe, with the consulting guidance of Venture Catalyst, opened the Barona Casino "Big Top."
The casino has become the means to a restoration of self-sufficiency, prosperity and renewed hope. Unemployment and welfare dependency have dropped from 70 percent to zero on the Barona reservation.
Celebrating our catholic life
Saint Kateri Tekakwitha Parish